Silky smooth with the punch of ginger & chilli whilst the saltiness of the soy, and the crunch of the deep fried shallots! A must try for any tofu lover or for the ready to be initiated... Its also super quick and super cheap!
Ingredients (Feeds 2 - side dish)
- 250gm tub Silken Tofu
- 1 large piece of green shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 Long red chilli (or 2 birdseye if you like it hot), deseeded and Julienned
- ½ Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Good pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon deep fried Shallots
- A handful Fresh Coriander leaves
Steam your Tofu for around 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the shallots, ginger, vegetable oil, soy sauce and salt until well combined. Taste and adjust accordingly (i.e. a little extra ginger for more punch or a little extra soy for added saltiness).
Once the tofu is steamed, drain any liquid that has accumulated from the steaming process and gently slide your tofu onto a serving plate or preferably shallow bowl.
Spoon the ginger shallot mixture over the top, then sprinkle on the chilli and deep fried shallots with a final topping of the fresh coriander leaves.
© Tim Elwin 2016