This recipe started off as a breakfast dish but soon moved to an "anytime of day' meal! Really easy to make and only takes a few ingredients and a few steps.
It's also great for entertaining!
- 4-6 free range eggs
- 1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes (including the liquid)
- 400g of Italian, Continental, Pork or Beef sausages, skins removed (if you can be bothered) then chopped into 1cm pieces
- 200g Ball Fresh Mozzarella (otherwise use Bocconcini), ripped into small pieces
- A handful of Fresh Basil Leaves, roughly chopped or torn
- Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper to taste
- Toasted Sourdough or Baguette or any bread you have in the house to serve
- Fresh Parsley, chopped (optional)
You’ll need a pan with a lid otherwise some alfoil with do the trick.
Place a splash of cooking olive oil into the pan on medium-high heat and add the sausages. Cook until well browned all over. Add the tomatoes + liquid and mix through.
Reduce to heat to medium and cook down the tomatoes until the stew becomes thick instead of runny (3-5 minutes) then add the mozzarella pieces evenly around the pan. Spread the basil leaves over the top and then immediately crack the eggs onto the top of the stew so that they are spread evenly over the top.
Place a lid on the pan or cover with the alfoil and cook for a 2-3 minutes until the egg whites are cooked whilst leaving the yolks runny.
Serve in flat bowls, drizzle with good quality olive oil, season to taste, sprinkle with some fresh parsley and serve with the toasted sourdough.
© Tim Elwin 2009